Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Throwback Tuesday

We meet again...another Tuesday with yours truly JR3!!! This is a special week. I say that because, I really wanted this to be a segment where the people get to know who I am. With that being said, this weeks throwback athlete/person is none other than, yours truly...Jarrod Rice.


Growing up on the westside of Detroit, sports played a big part in my life. At the tender age of 5, the first sport I played was tee ball. At Peterson Park on Curtis and Evergreen is where it all started. Playing shortstop and 3rd base for the Rangers. Team name inspired by the cartoon, "Power Rangers" we went on to win 4 championships in a span of 6 years. I would go on from tee ball, to coach pitch, then to fastball. Thats when I would be tested as a baseball player. It was huge transition going from being coached by your father, then moving onto a coach and organization that you have never been apart of. Not only did I switch teams, but I would have a position change.

The Northwest Detroit Red Sox would be my new home and family for years to come. I would be a member of the Red Sox until I turned 16. Our coaching staff of Coach Hurt and Coach Walt would be my mentors and high school basketball coach my freshman year at Benedictine High School. I fell in love with baseball and basketball even more once I was under the guidance of those two coaches. One thing they would instill in the team, that we all can use in our everyday life is the "5 P's": PROPER PREPARATION PREVENTS POOR PERFORMANCE. At a young age and still learning, I just took it as, this is just another speech. But, it really is a life lesson. Once I got to high school, basketball grew on me. I played JV basketball for a year and a half. Freshman year at Benedictine High School, then transferred to Clarenceville High School in 10th grade to finish out school. Thats when I would find my passion for writing and editing. I served as the chief editor for the sports column in the Shades of Gray newspaper.



After graduating from high school, I went to college and majored in Mass Communications. I graduated from Specs Howard School of Media Arts and continued sports writing for Rochester College. From there, I got the idea to start my own sports blog. I am currently involved in a very competitive rec league, and continue to stay active in the sports world on and off the court. My long term goal is to become a Sports Analyst/Columnist for ESPN and to have my own sports show.









No comments:

Post a Comment